You can save someone’s life today!.jpg

You can save someone’s life today!

ON JUNE 14, World Blood Donor Day was celebrated in the Algarve, paying homage to all blood donors and endeavouring to encourage new ones.

ARS Algarve, the Regional Health Authority, adamantly described the safety of the process, saying that “in our country, giving blood is totally safe and poses no risk, whatsoever, of transmitting any infection or contagious illness to the donor or the recipient”.

One pint of blood can save the lives of three people. Around 60 per cent of blood supplies worldwide go to 18 per cent of the world’s population, leaving 82 per cent of the global population inadequately covered. The latter does not always have access to clean blood (free from disease and infection) either, so it is vitally important that giving blood should be done on a regular basis.

The ARS Algarve was echoing the words of the World Health Organisation, who emphasise the need for more commitment by blood transfusion services and partner organisations, to provide the highest standards of care at every stage of the transfusion process – from the collection of the donor’s blood to its transfusion to the patient.

If you would like to save lives, then please give blood as regularly as you can. Donors can go to Faro Hospital every weekday from 8.30am to 12pm, or to Portimão Barlavento Hospital on July 2, July 16 and August 6, from 9am to 12.30pm. There will also be a mobile blood donations unit at the Fatacil Fair in Lagoa, on August 19, 23 and 26.

• For more information, call ARS Algarve on 289 889 900.