Wine production

Wine production in the Algarve fell by 11 per cent during the 2009-2010 season in comparison to the previous year.

According to the national wine and vine institute (IVV), a total 21,183 hectolitres of wine was produced in 2009-2010, while in the previous season 23,798 hectolitres were produced. Nationally, however, wine production increased by 4.3 per cent overall.

The region’s largest wine producer, Única, is responsible for around 80 per cent of the wine produced in the Algarve, while the remaining 20 per cent comes from around 15 private wineries.