wine bottle

Wine: An interesting Sauvignon Blanc from the Douro

New in at Apolónia a few weeks ago (€11.99), this Sauvignon Blanc varietal comes from a respected name on Douro wine. Lavradores de Feitoria is an unusual project, created in the year 2000 to bring together 18 Douro wine estates in three sub-regions of the Douro Valley.

According to the company’s website, there are now 53 shareholders of which 16 are producers and they all work together promoting the “Feitoria” brand, albeit some of wines having different names.

The combined volume of the parts makes Feitoria the seventh biggest producer in the Douro and has given financial stability to the many small producers that joined the project.

This is a Sauvignon Blanc produced from 30-year-old vines at an altitude of over 500 metres, a wine of great freshness and character. I’m not normally a fan of oaked Sauvignon Blanc but here just 20% of the grapes are fermented and aged in new French oak with the remaining 80% in stainless steel.

This is a Sauvignon Blanc in the old-world style, with refined notes of apricot, asparagus and just a hint of tropical fruit. In the mouth, there is good structure and solid acidity softened by layers of fruity flavours and nice dry finish.

By Patrick Stuart
[email protected]