– Seal, July 31, Pavilhão Atlântico, 9pm. Tickets at FNAC shops from 22E to 30E
– Bryan Adams, August 1, Expofacic, Catanhede (Coimbra). Ticket priced at 10E.
– Al Jarreau, August 8, Grand Summer Gala at the Sheraton Algarve. Concert tickets from 75E. Concert + dinner 150E. Tel 289 500 360.
– Mariza, August 10, at Jardim do Pescador, Olhão, 10pm
– Sir Cliff Richard, August 20, Fisherman’s Beach, Albufeira
– The Offspring, September 1, at Coliseu, Lisbon, 9pm. Tickets at 22.5E.
– Santos e Pecadores, September 4, at Portimão Riverside, at 10pm.
– Paco de Lucia – Flamenco spectacular, September 9 and 10, at Coliseu dos Recreios, Lisboa, 9.30pm; September 11, at Figueira da Foz Casino; September 12, at Coliseu, Porto, 9.30pm.
– Whitesnake, October 29, at Pavilhão Atlântico, Lisbon.
– Diana Krall, September 30, at Coliseu, Lisbon.
– Diana Krall, October 1, at Coliseu, Lisbon; October 23, Porto.
– Hoobastank, at Paradise Garden (Lisbon), on October 4, at 9pm. Tickets: 20e. Ticketline 210 036 300.
– The Eternal + The Prophecy + Alexandria, October 9, at Rockhouse Café, Alenquer.
– 12th Serra Festival, July 30 to August 1. Gastronomy, crafts, music and art, at São Brás de Alportel, from 6pm. Tel 289 840 000.
– 18th ‘Sweet Art’ Festival Competition, July 30 to August 1. Traditional sweets, regional produce, crafts and musical entertainment, at Levante Market, Lagos
– Over 50’s International Friends (IF Club) Buffet and Live Music, August 1 (Sunday), at Atalaia Restaurant, Lagos. Special get-together to decide what to do for our First Anniversary, on September 12. Contact Eileen 282 799 111 or Pam 282 358 873.
– Madrid Flamenco Dance Group, August 4 and 5. At Portimão Municipal Auditorium, at 10pm
– Serenades of Coimbra, August 5 to 8. Love, nostalgia and ‘saudade’ are the themes, performances in several localities. Organised by the Algarve Tourist Board. Tel 289 800 400.
– Sardines Festival, August 6 to 15. At the Fair and Exhibition Park. Live performances: Aug 6 – Martinho da Vila; Aug 7 – David Fonseca; Aug 8 – Rui Veloso; Aug 9 – Bonga; Aug 10 – Santa Maria; Aug 11 – Sérgio Godinho; Aug 12 – Anjos; Aug 13 – Mariza; Aug 14 – Clã; Aug 15 – Banda Eva
– Olhão Shellfish Festival, August 10 to 15. At the Jardim Pescador Olhanense (public gardens). One of the biggest gastronomical events in the region. Shellfish rice shellfish bread stew, cataplanas, scaled horse mackerel, squid cooked in its own ink, baked octopus and the popular sardines. Tel 289 700 100.
– FolkFaro, August 25 to 29. World Folk Dancing, at Faro. Organised by the Faro Folk Dancing Group, in conjunction with Faro Câmara.
– Final of the National Folk Dancing Festival, September 5. At Portimão Riverside
– Madame Butterfly, September 17 and 19. At Coliseu dos Recreios, Lisbon
– Sport activities, until September 30. At Praia da Rocha, from 9am.
– Charity dinner in aid of the Bombeiros, October 2. At Ponte Romana, 8pm. Four-course dinner: starter, vegetable soup, main course (choose between goat, slices of roast pork and codfish in cream), dessert and drinks. All for 18E (10E go for funding) Book by October 1. Call Vee on 282 799 681 or Angela on 936 384 275.
– ‘Ladies Night’, November 13 (Saturday). All proceeds to the Lagoa Bombeiros. If you think you can entertain a large group of ladies, make them laugh, scream or swoon, then contact us. We also need sponsors, especially if your product is for the ladies (i.e. make-up, lingerie, etc). Contact Mandy on 916 450 717 or Steve on 918 256 556.
Festival do Tejo
July 23: Xutos e Pontapés; Dealema; Zedlisa NEON Light; Yellow W Van
July 24: Clã; Loto; Mão Morta
July 25: Ramp; Tara Perdida; Fonzie + more to be confirmed
Tickets 13E to 25E.
Festival do Sudoeste,
Zambujeira do Mar
August 5: Soulwax
August 6: Franz Ferdinand; The Dandy Warhols
August 7: Groove Armada; Rodrigo Leão (com Beth Gibbons)
August 8: Kraftwerk; Air; dEUS
To be confirmed: Tim Booth; Zero7; Clã; Massive Attack
Tickets 30E to 50E
Paredes de Coura
August 17: Arrested Development; Culture; The Roots
August 18: Motor City (Mc5); Howe Gelb
August 19: Scissor Sisters; Mark Eitzel; Black Rebel Motorcycle; The Kills
August 20: Josh House + more to be confirmed
Tickets 30E to 50E.
Angra Rock Açores
September 3: Flowing Tears; Lithium; The Temple
September 4: Rádio Macau; Star Industry; Penumbra
September 5: Reamman; Volcania + more to be confirmed
Scottish Country Dancing: Mondays, from 7.30pm to 9.30pm, at Porches International School. Call Isobel McGarvey on 282 332 612
Handicraft Exhibition: Monday to Saturday, at CACE – Centre of Arts, Estói
Social Bridge Club: at the Hotel Garbe, Armação de Pêra, Fridays at 2.30pm. Call 282 312 594 or 962 339 888
Cricket Club: All players welcome. Contact Graham Morgan (289 396 622)
Chess: Join the Lagoa Chess Club (282 342 982), or the Loulé Chess Club. Contact Konstantin (914 005 829).
Free the Voice/Free the Body: with Diana Lindley (282 332 854)
Let’s Walk: Guided walks. Contact Julie Statham (282 698 676 / 965 753 033)
Hash House Harriers: Meet weekly, pm. Contact Sylvia (289 413 854)
Poppins Mother and Toddler Group: Portimão. Tuesday 10am-12pm two to three years. Come and meet other new mums, chat, coffee and fun for tots. Wednesday 10am-12pm a time to chat, coffee and help your children to learn through play. No charge, just for coffee. For more information, call Linda on 282 086 804.
Over 50’s International Friends (IF Club): Meeting twice weekly on Wednesdays and Sundays in Portimão and Lagoa areas. Call 282 799 111. New members and visitors welcome.
The Aero Clube de Portimão: Gliding section always open to new members. Anyone interested in the sport is welcome. Sightseeing and training flights with a touring motorglider available. Call Jörg Herrman on 916 356 633.
FIESA Sand Art: Sand sculptures until September 22 near Pêra, between A22, access road to Algoz and EN125. Call 282 912 918 or 282 912 919 for more information.
Bodycombat, bodyjam, bodybalance, circuit and legs, bums & tums classes, at Hotel Zodiac, Fonte Santa, Quarteira. Contact Fitbods 916 255 774.
Women’s Walks: Monthly workshops and personal development with Walking Coach Nanette Kant. Tel 919 444 149 or visit www.innersteps.com
New Fleamarket: Every second Saturday of the month, from 8am. All welcome. Snack bar and children’s play area facilities available. At PlayOasis, Parque dos Recreios, Ferragudo. Tel 282 799 111.
Charity Quiz Night and Prize Bingo: Every Wednesday in aid of the APAA, from 9.30pm at the Slam Bar in Montes de Carvoeiro. Call Jossie on 917 251 551 or Jenny on 919 041 903.
Summer Jazz: at the Plough and Harrow Restaurant, featuring the Jazzmin Trio every Wednesday, and Jazz-Café every Sunday. Call 917 614 899.
Jazz: The Jazzmin Trio at the Bon Bon Restaurant in Sesmarias, Lagoa, every Friday. Call 282 341 496.