Visiting, staying and living in the Algarve

Sponsored content

Best options for Brits post-Brexit 2021

From tourist visa, D7 Visa or Golden Visa, what’s the best solution for you?
Here is an easy guide for British citizens to travel and stay in Portugal.

1. You are a Non-Resident in Portugal: As a British tourist travelling to Portugal for less than 90 days, you may not need a visa, but always double check when booking travel and accommodation, as you may be asked about the following by Customs or the authorities:

■ A valid 10-year passport with at least six months left before it expires
■ It is advised to apply for healthcare insurance, British or European
■ Check your driving licence and permits
■ Organise your pet travel in advance
■ Check the current travel restrictions and pandemic requirements
■ You may need a return ticket, proof of accommodation and sufficient financial sources

2. You are a Non-Resident in Portugal: If you wish to visit the Algarve e.g., as a businessperson, for house hunting, and stay longer than 90 days, you need to apply for a Schengen Visa in the UK at the embassy or consulate or in any Schengen country representing Portugal. Please check conditions.

3. You are a Non-Resident in Portugal: If you prefer to stay longer, you can apply for a D7 Visa and residence permit which allows you to stay for up to four months. Suitable for retirees and entrepreneurs regardless of age. You need to prove a passive income of the current minimum wage in Portugal for the first applicant and 50% of that amount for a partner or parents plus 30% for each child. The income can come from rentals, retirement, dividends, or investment. You need to have a ‘residence’ in the Algarve, either a rental with a contract or owned. After the first period of 120 days, an applicant can obtain a residence permit for one year which can be renewed every two years. After five years, it is possible to apply for permanent residency. You can travel throughout the Schengen territories. This programme has relevant minimum-stay requirements (please get more detailed information with your lawyer). The D7 Visa is compliant with the Non-Habitual Tax Regime and is meant for Brits who are self-sufficient. Further conditions, time compliances and application forms are available on the SEF website, the Portuguese consulate or via a law company. See sources.

4. You are a Non-Resident in Portugal: If you would like to buy and stay in Portugal for a much longer time and wish to travel throughout the European Schengen visa zone, the “Golden Visa Ticket” is the best for you and your family. In addition, you can achieve a residence permit within five years, however it has substantial administrative and tax costs. Please check the conditions and time compliances with your lawyer, tax advisor and SEF (the Portuguese Immigration & Borders Service) and an established real estate agency like Togofor Homes.
Current options for Golden Visa:
■ To invest in real estate privately owned of €500,000 or more(*)
■ To invest in real estate privately owned of €350,000 or more(*) located in an urban rehabilitation area and being over 30 years old.

(*) Both situations can be reduced by 20% if the properties are located in low density areas, i.e., €400,000 and €280,000, accordingly

From January 2022, Golden Visa options will be more limited. You can only buy a property for residential purposes in the municipalities of Aljezur, Vila do Bispo, Monchique, Castro Marim and Alcoutim (and other specific low density/interior parishes). The rest of the Algarve is still considered, if the property is for commercial, services or touristic purposes.

If you are interested in this type of visa, you need to apply for it as soon as possible in order to cover the time for the application. Please contact us for further information. We will help, guide and connect you with the appropriate people and companies.

Due to the impact of Brexit, the new ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization) scheme will operate visas from 2022 on the 90-day rule. So, Non-Resident British homeowners in Portugal can only spend a total of six months in a year (two separate periods of three months) in their homes in Portugal compared to the previously unlimited time allowed.

Recommended Tax Advisors
– Real Estate, Taxation,
Exchange Currency | TOGOFOR-HOMES

Visit or call
+351 289 322 134 (Vilamoura Head Office)

Schengen Visa: Requirements and Eligible Schengen Countries (
Direção Regional do Algarve (
Welcome to GOV.UK (
Home – Martinez-Echevarría & Rivera abogados (