Traditional gastronomic takes centre stage for over two weeks in Faro
A new gastronomic event will see 10 restaurants in Faro serving classic Algarvian dishes between March 18 and April 3.
Entitled ‘1ª Quinzena da Gastronomia Algarvia’ (First Fortnight of Algarve Gastronomy), the event will allow food lovers to enjoy three-course meals or chef’s suggestions inspired by the region’s traditional gastronomy.
Staple ingredients such as tuna, clams, razor clams, octopus, fresh fish, and Aljezur sweet potato will be among the stars of the dishes served.
Despite being described as a 15-day event (‘quinzena’), it will take place for 17 days and restaurants will be offering a 17% discount on the price they would usually charge for the menus.
The event is organised by Faro’s parish union and aims to “promote regional gastronomy as cultural heritage and a tourism product, based on traditional cuisine and the Mediterranean diet.”
Here’s the full list of participating restaurants and their menus:
• À-Do-Pinto: Algarve-style fried small squid (starter); Portuguese-style shrimp bread soup (main); carob cake (dessert)
• Bottle Wine & Food: Monchique-style roast (starter); tuna ‘estupeta’ with cockle ‘xerém’ (main); sweet potato cake with Algarve orange custard and tangerine ice-cream (dessert)
• Chafariz: Vila Real de Santo António-style tuna ‘estupeta’ (starter); octopus rice or stewed pork cheeks with mashed potatoes (main); farófias (dessert) – egg whites baked in milk with cinnamon and egg custard
• Cinderela: Small filleted mackerel seasoned with olive oil and garlic (starter); tuna steak with fried onion (main); slice of orange tart (dessert)
• Coreto: Algarve clams (starter); corvina with fusilli pasta (main); D.Rodrigo ice-cream (dessert)
• Costa Algarvia: Ria Formosa clams (starter); fish ‘cataplana’ (main); D.Rodrigo puff pastry (dessert)
• Lodo: Ria Formosa trilogy, oysters, prawns, brown crab, shellfish ‘xerém’ (chef’s suggestions); Ethan Mess (dessert) – Cracker, Greek yoghurt, raspberry purée, and meringue
• Tertúlia Algarvia: salted and dried tuna with olive oil and oregano on bread (starter); octopus ‘cataplana’ with sweet potato (main); sweet ‘xerém’ with fig brandy sauce (dessert)
• Sabores Magia: Algarve-style salad (starter); Algarve-style small squid (main); Loulé puff pastry (dessert)
• Travessa: Breaded lesser weaver (starter); pork neck with sweet potato (main); orange tart (dessert).
The full programme can be found online at www.uf-faro.pt