Star hospitalised with mystery bug

news: Star hospitalised with mystery bug

Irish singer Ronan Keating was admitted to a hospital in Dublin, last week, after contracting a mysterious allergy while on holiday in the Algarve. The ex-Boyzone heartthrob was temporarily blinded after a swelling developed around his eyes. Doctors have so far been unable to ascertain the cause of the swelling, but speculation in the British tabloid press has centred on an allergic reaction to food.

The newspaper says that the singer had to cancel his participation in a golf tournament in memory of his late mother, Marie, the proceeds of which would have gone towards breast cancer, the disease that killed her. “It was a very important event for him and so he is really sad,” commented a close friend.

It appears that Keating was originally treated with antibiotics at home, but had to be taken to hospital after his condition deteriorated. “He started to feel very weak and so we had no alternative. In hospital, the doctors told him he would have to remain under observation until he has totally recovered,” revealed Laura Keating, the singer’s sister.

According to friends of the singer, his symptoms began in the Algarve where he was on holiday with his wife, Yvonne, and their two children, five-year-old Jack and one-year-old Marie. “He was first visited by a Portuguese doctor, who was unable to identify the source of the problem. So he remained hopeful that the swelling would pass. But, by the time he returned home to Dublin, his condition had worsened,” said the friend.