Unfortunately, we have had to cancel our popular Spring Garden Fair, but we are taking the opportunity to offer a very special event later in the year by making early plans for our Autumn Garden Fair on October 24 and 25 in Silves. Maybe you can do something similar and use extended time at home by making plans for the new gardening year. Here are some ideas for you:
• For some inspiration, check out the online talks available from knowledgeable speakers on Mediterranean gardening, now including the key talks from the Évora 2019 Conference.
• Look at the info leaflet prepared for the Spring Fair which gives details of all the plant nurseries and other exhibitors who were looking forward to sharing their work with you. Most will accept private visits but do contact them before you go.
• Look up native seed and plant providers, and their online lists, to plan any changes to your garden to make it more sustainable. www.sementesdeportugal.pt
• Bulbs are a classic addition to mediterranean gardens. MGAP will be accepting your bulb orders for delivery at the Autumn Fair. You can get some ideas of the range suitable for Algarve gardens here https://www.mgaportugal.org/JF_video.html
• If you are a keen propagator of plants from seeds and cuttings, now is the time to get growing – bring your spare plants to the MGAP Plant Sales stand at the Autumn Garden Fair to share with others.
• Any special hobbies such as birdwatching, country walks, painting and photography can be continued and developed. Take a picnic and avoid urban areas.
• Try not to watch too much news, keep busy, keep in touch with family and friends via the internet or phone each other. Technology can come in useful sometimes!