We recently held a fundraising event at our showroom to raise money for the Mustard Seed Association in Lagos. This worthwhile cause supports homeless and needy people in the city and gets no support from the authorities, therefore, charitable donations are important to help them produce up to 300 meals for its clients.
At the lunch, we served a Mexican-themed meal to our guests and this recipe was the star of the show and put a different but awesome slant on one of our favourites … pulled pork.
Slow-smoked Mexican-style pork shoulder is a melt-in-your-mouth dish that requires nothing but a few spices like chilli powder, cumin, and a handful of other spices, and a good smoker or oven to make the best Mexican pork you’ve ever had! Topped off with a BBQ sauce and soured cream, which sets your taste buds to overdrive.
Rub ingredients for a 4kg pork shoulder (pá do porco):
■ 4 tablespoons brown sugar
■ 4 teaspoons garlic powder
■ 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
■ 4 teaspoons ground cumin
■ 4 teaspoons salt
■ 2 teaspoons chilli powder
■ 2 teaspoons black pepper
1. Slash the pork in multiple locations with a knife, especially on the fat cap so it doesn’t curl during cooking, and also to allow the marinade to penetrate.
2. In a small bowl, mix together all the other ingredients, and rub into both sides of the pork.
3. Set your smoker to 120°C for 5-6 hours.
4. Cook until internal temperature reaches 90°C, remove and cover with foil and let it rest for 10-15 minutes to finish cooking.
5. Shred and reserve ready for the spicy BBQ sauce
Wrap in foil after seasoning and cook it for 4-5 hours until internal meat temperature reaches 80°C. Remove foil and bake for another hour until temperature reaches 90°C.
Spicy barbecue sauce recipe
■ 4 red chilli peppers, de-seeded and finely chopped
■ 4 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
■ 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
■ 2 tbsp chilli powder
■ 2 tsp ground cumin
■ 2 tsp cayenne pepper
■ 2 tsp ground coriander
■ 1 litre tomato ketchup
■ 100 ml fresh lime juice
■ ½ cup brown sugar
■ 1 cup of apple Juice
1. Place chillies, oil and garlic into a medium to large saucepan. Cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Add chilli powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and coriander; cook 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in ketchup, lime juice and brown sugar. Cover, simmer and slowly bring to boil and remove from heat.
2. Mix the half cup of apple juice with half cup of the BBQ sauce and then tip over the shredded pork and stir in.
3. You are now ready to serve the pulled pork and, in my view, it is a great serve in a tortilla wrap with a little shredded lettuce and a spoonful of the hot BBQ sauce over the top – all finished with some soured cream and then rolled up. Make sure you have plenty of napkins or kitchen roll as it can be messy, but – OMG! – does it taste good … Enjoy!
Article submitted by Chris Winstanley from www.moveison.com