BATHERS AT Vau beach, near Portimão, were forced to leave the beach as sewage was discharged onto the sand last Friday.
According to eye witnesses, the discharge, caused by a fault in a nearby water treatment plant, lasted for 10 minutes, leaving the sand black and a foul smell in the air.
A spokesman for Águas do Algarve told The Resident that the problem was due to a power surge which caused the malfunction of a sewage gate. All was resolved within two hours and the beach is now safe. We are installing a security system to avoid a repeat situation.”