Rotary Club Estoi Palace International (RCEPI) held its 11th annual Rotary Charity Golf Tournament at Monte Rei Golf and Country Club on August 25.
It was a swelteringly hot day and an early start. The determined participants came off the course tired, hungry, thirsty … but smiling! After the much-appreciated complimentary drinks, the golfers sat down to a superb lunch followed by a prize-giving ceremony.
The event organiser, Peter Zahner from RCEPI, said: “Once again, our golfers have demonstrated unwavering support for our charitable causes. It was heartwarming to see both familiar faces and new players joining us. My Rotary colleagues, and the exceptional Monte Rei team, all contributed to the success of this event.”
This year’s winners were:
- Men – 1st Place: Alvaro Labella Quesada with 39 pts (better back 9 holes); 2nd Place: Jorge Alonso Ruiz with 39 pts; 3rd Place: Nuno Pereira with 38 pts
- Ladies – 1st Place: Olga Caixinha with 32 pts (better back 9 holes); 2nd Place: Catherine Haquin with 32 pts; and 3rd Place: Rae Kondes with 30 pts
- “Nearest the Pin” Men was won by Ignacio Escobar Stemmann
- “Nearest the Pin” Ladies was not awarded.
The event raised almost €8,000, which will support mainly local charities, with part of the funds being dedicated to children with cancer.
RCEPI is grateful to its main sponsors Monte Rei Golf and Country Club; Innovarisk, underwriting & insurance management; Mestre Raposa, doors and windows; Currencies Direct, secure currency transfers; and MGM Muthu Hotels.
In recent years, RCEPI has helped fund numerous projects including:
- The supply of 20,000 water filters to the war zone in Ukraine to provide clean drinking water to some 800,000 people;
- 15 years of financing of a local milk programme to help the Faro Food Bank;
- Providing support to the victims of the Turkish/Syrian earthquake and floods in Pakistan;
- Support for the health and wellbeing of local children in Olhão;
- Support for victims of domestic violence;
- Providing places for local students at international summer camps.
And many more projects which help those less able to help themselves.
RCEPI is looking forward to welcoming golfers back to Monte Rei Golf and Country Club next year, on Friday, August 30, 2024. The Club advises golfers to book early to avoid disappointment as places will be limited.
By SHIRLEY DUNNE