The Rota do Petisco gastronomic event which was due to take place in May has been postponed until September due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The event – a “gastronomic route” that features restaurants and eateries offering a variety of tapas-sized dishes and desserts at lower prices around the Algarve – will now be held between September 11 and October 11.
“Up until last week, based on information and data we received from official entities, we were committed to moving forward with the 10th Rota do Petisco as planned,” said Luís Brito, president of the Teia d’Impulsos association which organises the event.
“However, much has changed in the last few days and it is our duty to review our decision.
“Although the number of confirmed cases is still low in the Algarve, we realise that the future is hard to predict and this may well change,” he added.
Brito said the association had to make a decision that would help contain the pandemic and reduce the risk of contagion, giving the national health service time to treat patients in serious conditions.
The deadline for restaurants and eateries to sign up for the event has been extended until June 30.