Production falls

Domestic car production in Portugal fell during 2009, with 126,015 cars being manufactured in the country last year representing a drop of 28.1 per cent in comparison to 2008.

According to statistics released by the automobile association of Portugal (ACAP), 97.5 per cent of vehicles made in Portugal were intended for foreign markets with the remaining 2.5 per cent for the domestic market.

The largest export markets for cars made in Portugal were to France with 34.8 per cent and Germany with 26.3 per cent.