ruben cavaco.jpg

Police due to question battered Ponte de Sor teen as memory returns

PJ police investigating the brutal attack on a 15-year-old boy by the twin sons of Iraq’s ambassador to Portugal have at last got the break they had been hoping for.

Rúben Cavaco, now 16, has defied the odds and is not only recovering from the savage beating that rendered him unrecognisable, but getting his memory back too.

The boy’s mother Vilma Pires has told national tabloid Correio da Manhã that he is due to talk to detectives within the next few days.

The family is leaving everything to do with the investigation in the hands of their lawyer, Santana-Maia, she said, as at this point Rúben’s recovery is all that concerns them.

Meantime, “the ball is in Iraq’s court” on the question of compensation, Santana-Maia has told the paper.

Portugal is still waiting for an official answer on its request that Iraq agrees to the lifting of immunity protecting 17-year-old’s Haider and Ridha Ali from being interviewed as “arguidos” (official suspects).

Though made over two weeks ago (click here), the answer seems unlikely to come before representatives of the two countries meet in New York between September 19 and 23 as part of the United Nations General Assembly.

In the interim, Rúben’s recovery remains slow but sure. His mother says it is much too soon to think of any return to school or normal everyday life, but he is taking steps on his own “bit by bit”.

“There is a long way to go,” she told CM, stressing her fear is that he may recover physically but psychologically “he could be affected forever”.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com