Preliminary reports suggest that the cause of death of Nuno Ribeiro da Cunha, the EuroBic director who was found dead in his Restelo home on Wednesday (click here), was suicide and that “no one else was involved”.
So said Luís Neves, the national director of Portugal’s PJ criminal police, on Thursday in a brief statement to reporters after attending the signing of a protocol in Beja.
PSP police have also revealed that Ribeiro da Cunha is believed to have “committed suicide by hanging himself in the garage” of his home.
Many questions have been raised following the death of Ribeiro da Cunha, who just over two weeks ago was found with serious injuries which he said were self-inflicted in a failed suicide attempt.
The confirmation of his death came just hours after he was named a suspect in a criminal investigation in Angola into alleged embezzlement at state oil company Sonangol.
Much has been reported about his links to Angolan businesswoman Isabel dos Santos, who is now at the centre of an international scandal known as Luanda Leaks.
As national press has reported, it was Ribeiro da Cunha who validated the multimillion-euro transfers from the account of Angolan State Oil Company Sonangol to Dubai even after the Angolan businesswoman had been sacked from her post.
For more about the Luanda Leaks scandal, (click here).