Mother Nature seems to have turned a blind eye to the colder weather. An orchestration of cistus, buttercups, daisies in flower, a bird-of-paradise sadly no longer blooming. Blackbirds, robins and a collection of doves feeding together.
January feels like two months in one. February will zip along into March and spring. Now is the time to dust off the old year’s cobwebs and look towards a healthier and happier year ahead.
Jenny Clarke, president of the Association for Protection of Animals Algarve (APAA), has just put the finishing touches to her to-do list.
APAA has a small but hard-working, willing team running their charity and ‘Pop-Up’ venues. Regulars to either their Alvor or Silves charity shops (see below) will know how friendly and helpful the “gals” are, not only cheerfully selling their stock but welcoming all new goodies.
Anita, who resourcefully runs the association’s ‘Pop-Ups’, enjoys selling anything and everything she can, from ornaments to designer goods. “Sometimes it worries me that we are overcharging.” Surely not? “We’re always open to an offer!” she smiles.
Jenny has almost finished her first list. “Well, it looks as if we have a busy start to the season.” Team APAA are on the move.
Diary mark off
- First on the list is St. Vincent’s Second-Hand Fête being held at the church in Praia da Luz on Saturday, February 11, from 10am to 3pm. We will have a table with good quality, second-hand goods, lots of electrical items and bric-a-brac. As much as a table will hold, or prop-up? Yes, and a lot more … golf equipment, a DAHON folding bike …
- What’s next? On Wednesday, March 1, at 7.30pm, a special dinner with live music at O Tasco Restaurant at Senhora do Verde (Portimão). Award-winning singer and guitarist Alexey Martinez will be supplying his unique style of entertainment. Book it!
- Then, on Friday, March 3, we have our special, “almost men-only” Pop-Up at Casa do Pasto A Parreirinha in Odelouca, between 4pm and 6pm.” Man cave stuff? Apart from tools and gardening equipment, there will be plenty to keep the ladies busy. Good.
- APAA will be at Jolly’s in Alvor during March. Dates to be confirmed.
Sounds as if things are getting busy… Make sure you have those dates marked off! Remember all the money raised is for SNiP, APAA’s special programme for spaying and neutering and re-homing abandoned animals.
To book for O Tasco dinner, email Jenny at [email protected]; for general information, email [email protected]; www.apaaportugal.com
Zélia’s Cat Colonies always need extra assistance and cat food donations. Email [email protected]. Check everyone out on Facebook!
- Alvor, Dunas Complex, Monday-Saturday, 10.30am-2pm;
- Silves, Rua Elias Garcias 20, Monday-Friday, 10am-2pm (Sat 1pm). Packed with quality goodies. Bring or buy!