Unfortunately, a lot of things get the wrong connotations with the word ‘bag’. Handbag, baggage, in the bag.
Bag is extensively used not only as a descriptive noun but as a flexible container. Puppies are often disposed of in this way. Bagged. Dumped. Without a thought.
Every shelter around the Algarve and environs draws in a breath when the winter approaches. Lean times … it’s hard making ends meet. Bitch having puppies … she’s a good hunter, gun dog, but what about the puppies? Or at the very worst, having an old ‘cadela’ past her sell-by date. She gets dumped and the litter put in the ‘lixo’ bin. In the bag!
APAA’s president Jenny Clarke pauses between offloading the van from a rainy but successful Convento’bio pre-Christmas stall, to loading up for the Ferragudo Car Boot Sale. “It’s a tragedy. These poor little creatures haven’t even had a chance.” Last year, three were rescued still attached to their umbilical cords. “It was the week before Christmas!” Ho Ho Ho?
When donations are made for SNiP (APAA’s Spaying and Neutering Programme), the gratitude is shown by the numbers of feral cats dropping, cat colonies reduced, abandoned animals perhaps a minute memory of the past?
“The Spaying & Neutering Programme is our greatest contraceptive but expensive!” Jenny has completed the loading of her van. White van woman gone!
Dates for your diary
- APAA’s Ferragudo’s famous Sunday Car Boot Sales. Fair and Street market. Main one-way street. Sunday, December 10, from 8am to 12 noon. All sorts, man/woman cave stuff.
- Then the Big One! Wednesday, November 22 at O Tasco, near Portimão, from 12 noon to 3pm. APAA’s favourite meet and greet place. A great deal menu – book direct 282 471 769.
- APAA’s Christmas Lunch at Recanto dos Mouros in Silves on Tuesday, December 12, at 12.30pm for 1pm start. Another favourite, looking out at Silves Castle. Choice of boar stew or ‘bacalhau com natas’. Vegetarian option available. Desserts, coffee, water, wine, or beer. €24/€26 Members/Non. Book your lunch direct with Jenny 919 041 903 or send email ([email protected]). APAA’s Christmas gift table with jewellery and those special somethings on sale.
- If you are interested in ‘Holiday Inn’s’ paintings and mirrors, large and small, contact Jenny at [email protected]
- Don’t forget, there is always a friendly APAA charity shop – find them at Dunas do Alvor in Alvor, or Rua Elias Garcia in Silves.
Jenny’s been slaving over a hot cooker! New recipes, Apple in Mulled Wine Jam, Chili and Apple Chutney and … wait for it! Orange Marmalade with Cranberries. All proceeds for SNiP.
Thank you from Association for Protection of Animals Algarve