A third away win on the trot, this time in Armação de Pêra against Armacenenses, has moved Olhanense up to fifth place in the Campeonato de Portugal Division D. Although too late to have a chance of grabbing the second play-off place, the team are looking more coherent despite the previous week’s home defeat by SC Ideal (Azores).
Olhanense manager Vasco Faísca started with Sapara and Rodriguez upfront but was without Adilson who was serving a one-match ban for the red card picked up against SC Ideal.
It was the home side who took the lead three minutes before the interval through Márcio Meira, but Tiago Barros levelled matters on the stroke of half-time.
In the second-half, Stevy Okitokandjo (60′) replaced Tiago Barros and Hassan (69′) stood in for Caleb. Tiago Jogo and Leleco worked hard at the heart of the Olhanense midfield and were instrumental in securing victory. Three goals in a 15-minute period from Reider Rodriguez (72′), Stevy Okitokandjo (76′) and Hassan (87′) resulted in a comfortable 4-1 win. On Sunday, there is a cracking game in store for fans as fourth place Casa Pia (Lisbon), just a point above Olhanense, visit the José Arcanjo Stadium, Olhão. Kick-off 4pm.
SC Olhanense was founded in April 1912 and on Saturday at 10am club officials and supporters will gather at the José Arcanjo Stadium to raise the club flag and pay homage to the many thousands of people who have been involved during the highs-and-lows of over 100 years of sporting endeavour.
With numerous youth teams, Sporting Clube Olhanense plays a vital part in the community life of the historical city.
On Sunday (April 14), starting at 10am, Olhanense Vets will play walking football against EAWF for the Henrique Efigénia “Reina” Trophy. Henrique Evaristo da Efigénia played 111 games for Olhanense between 1955 and 1975.
The 81-year-old defender played several times against the brilliant Benfica team of the ‘60s that included the great Eusébio, Torres and Coluna. Olhanense games in those days were played on a sand pitch at the Padinha Stadium where the Algarve Outlet Shopping Centre now stands.
By CHRIS WRIGHT