By ELOISE WALTON [email protected]
Renovation works in the village of Figueira, near Budens, have suddenly halted, leaving a number of residents without vehicle access to their homes.
Local resident John Watts told the Algarve Resident: “Work started on the upgrade in October 2009, and it was scheduled to take nine months. Everything was going extremely well until after the incoming political party sent letters to the residents stating that there was a five million euro shortfall in the coffers.
“Work on the upgrading programme slowed, and since the beginning of February has stopped altogether.”
He added: “Our road, Rua Direita, is impassable and like a war zone. We cannot drive to our house and instead have to park 100 metres away. The muck and mess is indescribable, especially after the rain.”
John Lucas, another British resident who is also affected by the work, said: “The whole village looks like a building site. It is not good for the local economy as visitors who come here and see this won’t bother to come back.” He added that the look of the unfinished works also make it difficult for those who may want to sell their properties.
According to the original project at Vila do Bispo Câmara, the renovation work along the EN125, Rua da Escola and Rua Direita in Figueira was due to consist of an improvement of the existing watersupply system, domestic sewage, drainage, telephone and electrical infrastructures.
The roads were also due to be resurfaced, while green areas and fountains were also going to be created.
The total cost of this renovation, which started last year and was due to last nine months, was estimated at more than 1.2 million euros.
Despite several attempts to contact Vila do Bispo Câmara, by the time the Algarve Resident went to press on Wednesday, no one was available to comment.
Do you have a view on this story? Email us at [email protected]