ALL OF us at PDM hope you’ve enjoyed the various travel guides and news we’ve brought to you throughout 2005 and look forward to bringing you more destinations and information in 2006. This week, we thought we’d test your brains after the Christmas excesses, to see how much you know about the world around you. Good luck!
1. In 1999, which US city boasted the busiest airport in the world?
b) New York
2. Which country is called the Land of the Golden Fleece?
b) New Zealand
3. Which state would you end up in if you travelled to the eastern most point in the United States?
4. If you wanted to visit the Black Forest, which country would you visit?
5. Which city has the world’s longest subway system, which spans more than 390km?
6. Whose statue can be found in Pamplona, a place where this person often came to watch bullfights?
a) George Orwell
b) Ernest Hemingway
c) Henry James
7. Which island did Daniel Defoe’s fictional castaway, Robinson Crusoe, find himself washed up on?
8. How do we better know Island of Cloves?
b) Sri Lanka
9. Which country was the top tourist destination in the world in 1999?
c) United States
10. What Australian state is not part of the mainland?
a) New South Wales
a) La Mancha
12. How many islands does Hawaii consist of?
13. On which island is the Kingdom of Brunei located?
14. The once-great coffee-shipping port of Mocha is in what country?
15. Ibiza and Majorca are part of which island group?
a) The Balearics
b) The Azores
c) The Canaries
16. Where would you meet a Mancunian?
a) In China
b) In Manhattan
c) In Manchester
17. In which country would you find Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyndroblllantysyllyogogogoch?
a) In Wales
b) In Germany
c) In Bali
18. Which city was conquered by Alexander the Great, was home to the Ottoman Empire and is famous for its Turkish baths?
19. In which mountain chain would you find Mount Everest?
1. c) Atlanta; 2. a) Australia; 3. a) Maine; 4. c) Germany; 5. c) London; 6. b) Ernest Hemingway; 7. a) Tobago; 8. a) Zanzibar; 9. a) France; 10. b) Tasmania; 11. a) La Mancha; 12. c) 132; 13. a) Borneo; 14. a) Yemen; 15. a) Balearics; 16. c) In Manchester; 17. a) In Wales; 18. b) Istanbul; 19. b) Himalayas