GERRY AND Kate McCann and Robert Murat will remain arguidos in the Madeleine McCann case.
The news comes as a result of the Public Prosecutor of Portimão Court announcing that the case will remain under Portugal’s secrecy of justice law.
The decision means that access to the evidence collected so far has been denied to the McCanns’ and Robert Murat’s defence lawyers.
Police chief Paulo Rebelo asked Public Prosecutor Pedro Frias to extend the suspects’ arguido status because detectives believe Kate an Gerry accidentally killed their daughter.
The investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann will now continue for at least another six months before a final decision is announced by the court.
A national British newspaper has reported that the McCanns were furious after learning last night (Thursday) that they are still prime suspects in daughter Madeleine’s disappearance.
The couple’s anger was compounded when they heard that Robert Murat
A friend of the McCanns, both 39, said: “The police can’t have it both ways.”
Clarence Mitchell, the McCanns’ spokesman said: “They are frustrated and angry. Yet again there appears to be no movement in the case when they know they (the McCanns) are innocent.”
National Union of Portuguese Judges President Antonio Martins said that the arguidos could face a long wait to clear their name.
“The problem at the moment is that no one knows what type of crime was committed. For homicide, suspects can still be tried for up to 20 years after the crime was committed” he said.
Kate and Gerry McCann have been warned by their legal team they may have to go to the European Court of Human Rights to get their arguido status lifted. 1″>news