Following recent searches in Portugal of rural wells in Vila do Bispo, the re-energised hunt for answers in the mystery of what happened to Madeleine McCann has now moved on to Hanover, in Germany, where police are digging at a site described as close to an address at which the latest suspect, Christian Brückner, is understood to have lived.
Digging began yesterday (Monday).
Some reports refer to the area as ‘a site’; Sky News’ crime reporter Martin Brunt has called it ‘an allotment’, other sources suggest it is ‘a garden’.
But whatever it is, the activity has been confirmed as being connected to the Madeleine investigation, sensationally opened by German police last month who appear convinced this is no longer a missing persons inquiry (click here).
Said German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters at the time “after all the information we got, the girl is dead”.
Detectives in Germany have “some evidence” that Brückner “has done the deed”, he said – but not enough to succeed with a conviction – hence very possibly this latest flurry of activity.
Heavy machinery is involved in the digging, and according to Sky News, “an area of trees has been cleared”.
A German prosecutor named as Julia Meyer told local reporters yesterday that “police will need some more time to finish”.