Lifejackets for fishermen

Fishermen in the municipality of Vila do Bispo have been given 40 lifejackets to be used on their vessels.

The purchase of the lifejackets represented an investment of more than €2,000, with 90% of this being reimbursed by the EU and the other 10% of the cost being met by the Câmara.

A spokesman for Vila do Bispo Câmara said: “This initiative aims to improve the working conditions among the local fishermen and we hope that it will reduce the accident rates as a result.”