Lagos Council has unveiled a €1 million plan to renovate dozens of roads in the borough by the end of April.
Works will include repaving roads, improving drainage systems and ultimately making streets “safer, more accessible and more comfortable” to use.
The first renovations started on Monday (January 25) on Avenida da República in the heart of Lagos between the Lidl supermarket and the so-called ‘Rotunda das Cadeiras’ roundabout and are expected to last until Friday, when works will begin on Rua D. Vasco da Gama near Lagos Town Hall. Traffic will be restricted on both roads throughout the course of the revamp works.
In February, a series of road improvements will also be taking place in Espiche, Portelas, Almádena and Barão de São João (see list below).
While it is aware of the “inconvenience the works may cause”, the council hopes citizens and visitors will be “understanding as the works will benefit the whole community”.
Here’s the full list of scheduled works revealed by Lagos Council:
• Avenida da República (Lagos) – January 25-29
• Rua D. Vasco da Gama (Lagos) – January 29-February 4
• Rua dos Calceteiros, Rua da Boavista and Travessa da Boavista (Espiche) – January 26-31
• Rua Vicente Faria and Travessa das Escadinhas (Espiche) – February 2-8
• Travessa dos Pesos (Espiche) – February 9-14
• Rua Terreiro do Despacho (Almádena) – February 13-March 25
• Rua da Alegria, Rua do Funil, Rua da Sociedade, Rua do Alecrim, Rua do Rossio, Rua da Amoreira and Rua da Colina (Almádena) – March 20-30
• Rua da Palmeira, Rua da Alfarrobeira, Beco do Cerco, Rua do Rossio, Rua do Reguengo and Rua das Vinhas (Almádena) – March 20-30
• Travessa do Rossio, Rua das Parreiras, Rua José Silva Marreiros and Rua das Amendoeiras (Barão de São João) – January 25-March 5
• Rua da Escola Primária, Rua da Escola Velha and Beco da Escola Primária (Portelas) – March 30-April 4