Olhanense huddle with goal scorer Sapara (7)

Lagos laud it over Olhanense

Olhanense travelled to Esperança de Lagos last Sunday for an evening kick-off under the TV spotlight and came out second best. Despite being without captain and midfield general Leleco – serving the second game of a two-match ban – the visitors were straight on to the offensive.

On 18 minutes, Sapara saw Lagos keeper Ivan Cruz way off his line and hit a superlative shot from some 40 metres; very similar to his own goal the previous week but this time at the right end!

Olhanense then failed to take advantage of a hesitant home defence and squandered several opportunities which would cost them dearly later on.

With 30 minutes on the clock, Lagos equalised with their first attempt on goal when Chico rifled in a shot that gave Rúben Dionísio, standing in for the injured Rodrigo Moura, no chance.

Lagos were now a more confident side and, two minutes before the break, took the lead when Lamine headed home from a corner. Experienced defender Carlitos and keeper Rúben Dionísio must share the blame for failing to deal with the danger.

The second period saw Olhanense throw everything at Lagos including new signing Júlio Alves, but the resolute home defence, in which Ivan Cruz was outstanding, held firm for an important victory.

To add to Olhanense’s woes, Caleb picked up a second yellow card in stoppage time and will miss Sunday’s game. This was Olhanense’s first league defeat since September last year and means they drop to second in the Campeonato de Portugal Division D with Real SC (Lisbon), having beaten Armancenenses 3-0, moving two points clear at the top. Olhanense will be looking to bounce back when they entertain bottom club Sintra at the José Arcanjo Stadium, Olhão (behind McDonalds on the EN125) on Sunday – kick-off 3pm.


Captains Tiago Jogo (Olhanense red/black) and Chico (Lagos yellow/blue)
Olhanense huddle with goal scorer Sapara (7)
Lagos (yellow/blue) defend an Olhanense (red/black) attack