House fire leaves family homeless

A family of three have been left homeless after a fire, accidentally caused by a lit candle which was knocked over, totally destroyed their house in Vale da Mó, Pechão, in the district of Olhão.

The house had no electricity and the candle, the only form of illumination, fell onto bedding which caught fire and theflames quickly spread. One of the family, a 35-year-old man, suffered serious burns to the face and body and was rushed to Faro Hospital. His parents, aged 66 and 63, have meanwhile been re-housed by the social security services.