Hotel group helps extend Alvor boardwalk

Portugal’s Environmental Agency (APA) has announced that the beachside boardwalk in Alvor is going to be extended 1.6 kilometres along the Três Irmãos beach.

It will cost €400,000 to build – 70% of which will be covered by community funding, and the remaining 30% by an unnamed private hotel group with “interests” in the area.

It is believed that the Pestana hotel group could be behind the project. Not only is it currently building a new four-star hotel in Torralta, Alvor, it has already been reported that the group intended to build another boardwalk on the nearby beach.

However, no one from the Pestana Group has been able to answer our queries.

APA president Sebastião Teixeira told Correio da Manhã the construction work should begin this year and be completed by 2016.

In order to “protect the coast and the dunes”, the boardwalk will be raised from the ground, said Teixeira.

The current boardwalk borders Ria de Alvor as well as part of the western Alvor beaches. It was built around four years ago at the cost of €1.3 million.