Holiday horror as families shattered by murder

Holiday horror as families shattered by murder

Two Portuguese families were left devastated this week as Yuletide festivities descended into bloodbaths. In Aveiro, 50-year-old Conceição Oliveira was stabbed to death, allegedly by her niece and niece’s husband, and in Tomar a young man visiting his girlfriend’s family for the first time was shot in the head as he tried to protect her from the wrath of a family member.
According to reports in the Portuguese media, Adriano Machado, 38, had barely set foot in the home of his girlfriend in Pintado when things started to get out of hand.
The young woman had come home for Christmas with the intention of “resolving some serious issues with her father”, reports Correio da Manhã.
Herculano Duarte, 66, “reacted badly to the confrontation”. Apparently drunk, he is understood to have grabbed “one of the many weapons” he had at home and started firing.
Although the family sought refuge, first inside the house – and finally in a bathroom – Duarte’s shooting spree came to an end with Machado dead from a headwound.
CM writes that Machado had been trying to shield his girlfriend from flying bullets.
As Duarte faced court today (Tuesday), his daughter told the paper that her father had fought in the Colonial War and “since then had suffered from problems of aggression which became worse when he drinks”.
“He never wanted to seek treatment”, she told CM. “He should not drink, but he drinks”.
In Aveiro, the situation was very different but equally tragic. The victim is understood to have hit her niece with a stick, before being set on by her family members (both now in preventive custody).
Conçeicão’s 58-year-old husband José Marinho is reported to be fighting for his life in Aveiro hospital, suffering from multiple stabwounds.
Stories of domestic violence have dogged 2014 with a record number of women (40 so far) having lost their lives – 30 killed in their own homes.
And as the year draws to a close, the trial date for the man who allegedly battered his wife’s divorce lawyer to death in Estremoz in May has at last been set.
Francisco Borda D’Água stands accused of qualified homicide, which carries a maximum sentence of 25 years.
As the Resident reported (see: https://www.portugalresident.com/divorce-lawyer-killed-by-angry-husband), Borda D’Água is understood to have confessed to the crime.
According to the accusation against him, he is understood to have “grabbed his victim by the neck” during a discussion and “hit her head 14 times against a mosaic floor”.