A family of immigrants from India is counting its lucky stars today. Their baby was suffocating yesterday after swallowing a small plastic screw of the kind that secures lavatory seats to the toilet bowl. The parents rushed into the street in Vila Nova de Milfontes desperate for help, and by luck a GNR SEPNA vehicle was passing. First sergeant Fernando Carvalho ‘ran to the child’s aid’, performing the Heimlich manoeuvre as soon as he got to him. “The baby started to breathe again and began crying”, reports Correio da Manhã. First sergeant Carvalho kept the boy in his arms until firefighters arrived in an ambulance. After a brief check in hospital, the child is home safe with his parents.