German man found dead on Aljezur beach


[email protected]

THE BODY of a German man, believed to be in his 30s, was found on Sunday afternoon on Praia das Adegas, close to Odeceixe, Aljezur.

The body was found fully clothed at the foot of a 50 metre high cliff, on rocks close to the water. From the injuries sustained, the authorities believe the man fell from the cliff top and crashed against rocks several times on the way down. Portimão PJ is investigating the incident and, at the time of going to press, the identity of the victim had not been released.

The alarm was raised by a couple walking along the beach on Sunday afternoon, but the authorities suspect that the incident may have taken place a day earlier.

According to Marques Pereira, Chief of Lagos Maritime police, a Citroën Xsara with a German number plate, believed to belong to the victim, was found parked near the cliff and, according to witnesses, it had been there since Saturday afternoon.

Soon after the emergency call was placed, Lagos maritime police, Aljezur GNR and the local bombeiros arrived at the scene, however there was little that could be done as the man was already dead.

The body was transported to Barlavento Hospital in Portimão at around 7pm on Sunday where an autopsy is now being carried out.

The Resident contacted the German Embassy in Lisbon for further information about the case. “We can confirm that it appears the man fell from the cliff, but at the present moment we are unable to confirm the circumstances surrounding the incident and whether or not it was an accident or suicide.

“The investigation is in the hands of Portimão PJ. Also, we are currently waiting for the results of the post mortem to confirm the exact cause of death,” said press spokesman, Matthias Fischer.

The German Embassy was unwilling to release the name of the victim, due to the fact that its staff are still in the process of informing the man’s family. “By German law, we are not able to tell you the name of the victim in these circumstances without prior consent from the family,” said Fischer.

The Resident also contacted Portimão GNR and Lagos Maritime Police but no-one was prepared to comment on the case.