Seventy-three people had to be evacuated from their homes after a gas leak was detected at a building that is under construction on Portimão’s Oceano Atlântico street.
Authorities were alerted to the situation at 12.30am today (April 24).
In order to ensure the safety of residents, 73 people living in three nearby buildings were evacuated and had to wait until around 5.30am before they were allowed to return to their homes after gas levels were tested and deemed safe.
Four of the residents had to stay the night at a local hotel because levels were still not considered safe in their homes, a source from the Algarve’s rescue operations command (CDOS) told Lusa news agency.
No injuries were reported, the source added.