Hawaiian surf legend Garrett McNamara will lead a number of free surf classes at Portuguese beaches this summer, starting Tuesday (July 26) at Lisbon’s Carcavelos beach.
The initiative, entitled ‘Buondi Surf Sessions’, was a success last year and is open to “people who have never had a chance to get on a surfboard or who have but want to try it again”.
All lessons begin with a special surf class for children and youngsters from charity institutions, followed by a class that is open to all.
The last session will be held in the Algarve, at popular surf beach Praia do Amado (Aljezur) on Sunday August 7.
McNamara is famous for riding monster waves at Portugal’s Nazaré beach and adopting Portugal, which he dubs the surfing capital of Europe, as his second home (click here)
Buondi Surf Sessions will take place in this order:
• July 26: Praia de Carcavelos, Lisbon, at 11.30am
• July 27: Praia Tróia, Setúbal, at 11.30am
• July 29: Praia da Vila, Nazaré, at 4.30pm
• August 2: Praia de Matosinhos, Porto, at 11am
• August 3: Praia do Cabedelo, Figueira da Foz, at 10.30am
• August 4: Praia da Foz do Lizandro, Ericeira, at 10.30am
• August 5: Praia Grande, Sintra, at 10.30am
• August 6: Praia de São João, Costa da Caparica, at 11am
• August 7: Praia do Amado, Aljezur, at 11am