Foreign residents triumph over mast dispute

By ELOÏSE WALTON eloise.walton@algarveresident.com

Lagoa Câmara has responded favourably to pressure from foreign residents over the erection of an illegal communications mast in the residential area of Areias dos Moinhos in Carvoeiro.

Canadian resident and protest initiator, Hal Jones told the Algarve Resident on Tuesday: “My lawyer has told me that we have won our fight, following a meeting between Lagoa Câmara officials, representatives from SIRESP and the GNR.

“I can’t put it into words. All the residents here feel relieved that the mast will not be erected near our homes and we want to thank the Algarve Resident for its support these past few weeks,” Hal Jones said.

Vice-President of Lagoa Câmara, Rui Correia told the Algarve Resident: “The structure that would support the mast will be taken away from the site in Areias dos Moinhos as the mast will no longer be erected in a residential area.

“No definite location has been chosen yet and the process is stopped. However, it is possible that it will be near the lighthouse (Alfanzina), on the outskirts of Carvoeiro.”

Blue flag

In a separate piece of news, works in the centre of Carvoeiro are delayed, despite Lagoa Câmara having previously expected the works in the main square to be completed by April 9.

Rui Correia told the Algarve Resident: “The main square is due to be finished in 10 days, as is the Rua dos Pescadores.” He added that the workmen would then begin the final phase along Rua do Barranco.

The construction of new public toilet facilities on Carvoeiro beach is also due to start in 12 days, according to Rui Correia. “The facilities will hopefully be completed by the time the official bathing season starts, which will be June 15.”

The Vice-President added, however, that if for any reason there were delays with the completion of the public facilities, then temporary alternatives would be found.

For the first time in three years, Carvoeiro beach will be flying a blue flag as tests on the water quality have been positive. “This year, Carvoeiro beach will have a blue flag again, so it is only right that we have facilities in place for visitors,” said Rui Correia.

Do you have a view on this story? Email us at editor@algarveresident.com