Food poisoning

Forty-five athletes and two coaches participating in the 17th seven aside football tournament Mundialito in Vila Real de Santo António, were admitted to hospital on March 29 suffering from food poisoning.

The athletes were suspected of having contracted a bacterium following a lunch at Hotel dos Navegadores in Monte Gordo where they were staying. A coach told Correio da Manhã newspaper that in the evening he started receiving complaints from the athletes who “were vomiting and suffering from diarrhoea”.

The hotel manager told the same newspaper that the Food and Economic Safety Authority (ASAE) inspected the hotel and found no abnormalities.