Eight-year-old saves Tábua family from “certain death”

Eight-year-old saves Tábua family from “certain death”

A quick-thinking eight-year-old saved her grandparents and uncle from certain death from carbon monoxide poisoning when she woke up in the family’s home “feeling unwell” and found everyone else in her family unconscious.
Little Beatriz rushed to call neighbours in São Geraldo, Tábua, who realised the family’s “braseira” heater was the source of the problem. “If it hadn’t been for her, everyone would have died,” Beatriz’s aunt told reporters.
Now recovering in hospital, the family has learnt that “a minute more” inhaling the fumes would have certainly spelled death for 55-year-old grandmother, Susete Marques, who was the worst affected.
Beatriz woke up at 5am – which has left the community stunned at how close a shave the family had.
As firemen said afterwards, anyone using these kinds of heaters must ensure that all rooms are properly ventilated.
It is advice that is particularly appropriate now as the country plunges into freezing temperatures.
Beatriz’s aunt told reporters that she had been very worried about the family using a “braseira” as she knew they were dangerous.
“Someone local died using one of these heaters,” she explained.