Municipal waste collection companies across the Algarve are urging people to dispose of their rubbish properly.
Many citizens have been leaving rubbish bags at the side of bins for fear of touching lid handles, making the work of refuse collectors harder as well as increasing the risk of Covid-19 contagion.
“These workers deserve all our respect and attention as they face a higher risk of becoming infected,” says Filomena Sintra, Castro Marim Deputy Mayor.
“We should all do what we can to improve civic behaviour under the current circumstances,” she adds.
Similar appeals have been made by FAGAR and EMARP, the municipal waste collection companies in Faro and Portimão, respectively.
Here’s a list of recommendations made by these companies to make the work of waste collectors easier and safer:
• Make sure rubbish bags are tied up tightly.
• Dispose bags in the appropriate bins/containers and close the lid.
• Do not deposit bags at the side of bins/containers.
• Bags should only be partly filled (two thirds).
• Rubbish should be double bagged.
• Masks, gloves and tissues should be deposited in the general waste bins.
For your own safety, use gloves when disposing of rubbish, or wash/disinfect your hands straight after.