Abreu expected to report to DIAP on Saturday
Clóvis Abreu, the missing suspect in the violent beating to death of PSP agent Fábio Guerra in March last year, is expected to hand himself into authorities on Saturday.
The information has been confirmed by Abreu’s lawyer Anínal Pinto, who has told Correio da Manhã that his client means to present himself ‘voluntarily’.
Police sources do not see the situation this way. They have arrest warrants out for Clóvis Abreu whom they regard as a fugitive from justice.
According to reports, Abréu left the country within 24-hours of Fábio Guerra’s death from catastrophic brain injury having been announced.
In the intervening months, former military colleagues Claúdio Coimbra and Vadym Hyrnko have been sentenced to 20 years and 17 years jail respectively for Fábio Guerra’s murder. Both have subsequently put in for appeals. It may be in this context that Abreu has decided to ‘come back and face the consequences’. His defence lawyer has not explained.
Fábio Guerra’s mother Elsa meantime has said the family is prepared for another trial. It simply wants justice for the death of a beloved family member who died trying to break up a fight outside a disco.