Algarve Network for Families in Need is hosting a Christmas charity fun day on Saturday, December 16, from 12 noon to 4pm, at Al-Gharb Coffee Roasters in Albufeira. All funds raised on the day will go directly to the charity’s ‘Glasses for Children Project’.
Along with its usual work of supporting families in need along the Algarve, the charity is also raising awareness about the issue of sight screening, and the provision of glasses for children in need.
“This concern arose from the requests we were getting for support for the purchase of glasses for children in families who did not have the resources to buy them and subsequent information that many children in the area were not having eye tests,” said Bernadette Abbott from Algarve Network for Families in Need. “As we know, eye tests are extremely important not just for picking up sight deficiencies but to help diagnose several medical problems.
“Many of us will know that a major way out of poverty is through education; therefore, it is essential that children arrive at school equipped to learn, and one major aspect of this is being able to see adequately. Consequently, we have endeavoured to raise funds to address this issue, and this is what this day is all about.”
So, what can you expect?
- A Fun Run – Have fun, exercise and raise money all at the same time. It costs €5 to enter and there will be a liquid prize for the winner. If you can get people to sponsor you, all the better. Sign up by contacting the email address below or enter on the day.
- Christmas Carols/Songs – Join in on the musical treat by singers from The Algarveans Theatre Group.
- Face Painting by Zig Zag – Returning by popular demand is Lara Haylee Costa of Zig Zag who will transform the children (of all ages) into whatever they want to be. Lara will also do temporary tattoos and balloon modelling – the children will be delighted.
- Giant games – Have fun challenging your children to giant games like Connect 4, Jenga or try throwing a ping pong ball into a jar.
- Tombola – Don’t miss out on the tombola table where you will have a 1-in-5 chance of winning a prize.
- The Raffle – Raffle tickets for this event are on sale online and prizes will range from a hamper, a Christmas cake (kindly donated by Jane Kemp), vouchers for a variety of experiences, wines and chocolates, and more. The raffle will be drawn at 3.45pm on the 16th, but don’t worry if you’re not at the event; if you win, we will get your prize to you.
- Santa – And finally, and by no means least, the big man himself will be putting in an appearance.
“Alongside all this fun and to demonstrate the message we are sending out, we will have a very welcome visit from an optometrist who will be there to carry out eye tests and give information to anyone who has questions to ask,” said Bernardette.
But we still need your help. What can you do? Help on the day or donate items for the tombola and raffle. But the biggest help you can give is by going along and supporting this very worthwhile initiative.
Contact: [email protected]