Carbon monoxide deaths

A COUPLE in Almancil died last week from carbon monoxide poisoning after they used their charcoal food grill to keep them warm.

The victims were found unconscious in their bed by police officers and although paramedics arrived on the scene, they died

shortly afterwards.

The alarm was raised after a neighbour made several attempts to call them and became suspicious that they had not been seen that day. The grill was found outside the couple’s bedroom, but it was cool when the police entered the apartment.

The victims have been named as 58-year-old Maria Tavares Silva and José Tavares Silva, aged 44, who were originally from Cape Verde.

Do you have a view on this story? Email: editor@portugalresident.com