Briton left in limbo over extradition

By DAISY SAMPSON [email protected]

A British man who is fighting against an extradition order that would see him return to Portugal to serve a two-year jail sentence has had his case deferred back to the UK courts by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).

On Tuesday, the ECHR said that there was no immediate prospect of Garry Mann being extradited to Portugal and the case has been deferred back to UK courts. Meanwhile, the British courts have granted a temporary stay of extradition.

Garry Mann was arrested on June 15, 2004 and charged by Portuguese police for being involved in a riot that took place in Albufeira during the Euro 2004 football championships.

He claims that he was unable to instruct a lawyer and did not understand the proceedings due to the poor quality translation service provided.

He also says he was told that he would not have to carry out the sentence on the condition that he accepted voluntary deportation back to the UK and would not return to Portugal for at least a year.

In August 2009, Westminster Magistrates court ordered his extradition to Portugal, an order that Garry Mann and his legal team are still fighting.

Jago Russel, Chief Executive of Fair Trials International, said: “The British courts have one final chance to deliver justice and prevent Garry Mann’s extradition. We hope they will not let Garry down again.”

Karen Todner, of Kaim Todner Solicitors, the legal representatives for Garry Mann, told the Algarve Resident: “We hope the UK courts deliver justice to Garry as they clearly believe that Garry has been the victim of a miscarriage of justice thus far.

“Kaim Todner have done everything we can to rectify the mistakes made by Garry’s previous lawyers and will do everything we can to prevent his extradition.”

The 52-year old former fireman from Kent, who lost his job when he was convicted, had his last case to fight against extradition rejected by the High Court in the UK on January 19.

However, Lord Justice Moses stated that he could not “leave this application without remarking upon the inability of this court to rectify what appears to be a serious injustice to Mr Mann”. 

A spokesman from Fair Trials International told the Algarve Resident: “Garry is very upset by the latest decision because it is simply taking so long to deal with.

“The case has gone back now to the British courts and will be heard some time between now and March. We will also be looking to approach the government for a diplomatic resolution to the case.”

Do you have a view on this story? Please email Editor Inês Lopes at [email protected]