Avoid another poison tragedy.jpg

Avoid another poison tragedy

Following the tragic deaths of two children holidaying in Corfu, UK holidaymakers travelling abroad are being urged to take simple steps to keep their families safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The children died as a result of poisoning from a faulty boiler next door to the room where they were staying. Warning signs of leaks include:

• Stains, soot or discolouring around a gas fire, water heater or boiler.

• An appliance that burns with a yellow or orange flame instead of a blue one.

• Increased condensation inside windows.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, which is often mistaken for flu, include recurring headaches, nausea, sickness, chest and/or stomach pains and general fatigue.

Anyone with these symptoms is urged to seek medical advice immediately.