As the book and film famously pointed out, it’s a no-win situation. Charity has a way of repeating itself. One minute you’re ahead and the next … so it goes.
Jenny Clarke, president of the Association for Protection of Animals Algarve (APAA), and her band of merry members have been through a couple of difficult years since Covid. Not forgetting Brexit. “It has hit us all financially.” Another box is being loaded into her white van. “Luckily, we do have community spirit where and when it’s most needed.”
APAA want to thank a lot of people. “Not only the up-front members, but helpers who seem to be on hand when needed.”
The Algarveans Drama Group had a special sunny day event, from which they donated some funds to APAA. Oh no, they didn’t! Oh yes, they did! (their latest production ‘Cinderella’ will be performed in November – click here for more information). Jackie, APAA’s treasurer and master cookie-baker, entertained and fed members with a Mexican-style evening.
Also, afpop’s BLiP Community section attracted a lot of attention. “It all helps!” Jenny has ticked off another list.
Their charity shops have been busier this year. Good happy hunting places. Both shops providing Anita with ‘Pop-Up’ grand bargains and Jane, VP, with goodies for their car boot sales. “It takes time and energy.”
APAA do need new fresh faces and young blood! Vampires? “Well, they do have staying power!” Odd hours though.
APAA’s Pre-Christmas Shopping
- Ferragudo’s famous Sunday Car Boot Sales. Fair and Street market. Main one-way street. Sunday, November 12 and December 10, from 8am-12 noon. All sorts of widgets and stuff.
- Pop-Up at O Tasco, near Portimão, on Wednesday, November 22, from 12 noon-3pm. APAA’s favourite meet-and-greet place for that proper friendly ‘Pop-Up’ pop-in feeling. A wonderful couple of hours out, a good deal ‘menu do amigo’. Book direct 282 471 769.
- APAA’s Special Christmas Lunch, at Recanto dos Mouros in Silves on Tuesday, December 12, at 12.30pm for 1pm start. A beautiful spot, looking out at Silves Castle, always an excellent Portuguese-style hearty meal. Choice of Boar Stew or Bacalhau com Natas. Vegetarian option available. Desserts, coffee, water, wine, or beer. €24/€26 Members/Non. Please book your lunch directly with Jenny on 919 041 903 or email [email protected]. APAA’s Christmas gift table with jewellery and those special somethings on sale.
- If you are interested in Holiday Inn’s paintings and mirrors, large and small, contact Jenny [email protected]
- Don’t forget, APAA charity shops at Dunas do Alvor, in Alvor, and Rua Elias Garcia in Silves.
Please remember, SNiP (Spaying and Neutering Campaign), APAA’s main agenda for the Algarve, raising money, keeping furry, feral felines’ population down, helping with abandoned dogs, shelters and charities in need.