Fire still continues to burn
The Algarve’s regional development commission (CCDR Algarve) has suspended the licence of a landfill in Vale da Venda in Almancil, Loulé, where a fire broke out last Thursday and still continues to burn this Wednesday.
The licence was issued to Inertegarve in 2019 with a series of “conditions which have not been respected,” CCDR Algarve president José Apolinário said.
“It was with the guarantee that a triage would be carried out to correctly separate all waste and to have the facilities adapted to waste management,” he told TSF radio, adding that the “owner has been very reluctant to respect these norms.”
Making the matter worse is the fact that this landfill is a repeat offender, having already been the site of a similar fire in 2011 which lasted 16 days.
Since then, CCDR Algarve says it has continuously notified the owner to ensure the landfill does not become overloaded and correctly separates its waste, as well as to carry out the necessary construction work to adapt the facilities to the legal requirements to function as a landfill and to prevent fires.
“Now, with the outbreak of this most recent fire, CCDR has been following the situation along with the National Authority of Emergency and Civil Protection/Regional Command of Emergency and Civil Protection of Algarve, GNR police and Loulé Council to urgently solve this environmental problem,” it adds.
Meanwhile, a source from CDOS Faro (district rescue operations command) confirmed the fire continues to burn and will likely continue for many more days.
“In these kinds of fires, the waste continues to burn and burn,” the source added.