The winners of Portugal’s Wine Cities Competition, held in Lagoa earlier this month, have been revealed, with 11 medals going to wines produced in the Algarve.
Lagoa was the Algarve borough that received the most medals (six). Algarve Moscatel, made by Lagoa’s Única Adega Cooperativa, was the only Algarvian wine to receive a ‘Grande Medalha de Ouro’ (Grand Gold Medal).
Palhete 2019, produced by Morgado do Quintão, and Marquês dos Vales Grande Escolha and Duo Tinto 2015, made by Quinta dos Vales, also earned gold medals for Lagoa, while Lagoa Reserva Branco (Única Adega Cooperativa) and Dialog Verdelho 2019 (Quinta dos Vales) received silver medals.
“I’d like to thank all the winemakers who brought their best wines to the contest, and obviously thank Única Adega Cooperativa de Lagoa, Morgado do Quintão and Quinta dos Vales for their fantastic scores and medals,” said Lagoa Mayor Luís Encarnação.
“As a representative of a territory that has been recovering its winemaking tradition, I could not be happier,” he added.
Elsewhere in the Algarve, Silves received two medals while Albufeira, Loulé and Tavira each received one (see the full list of winners below).
All in all, 160 of the 550 participating wines were awarded medals – 12 Grand Gold Medals, 90 Gold Medals and 58 Silver Medals.
Every participating wine will also compete for awards at the Italian ‘Città del Vino’, which is taking place this weekend (May 21-23) in Castelvetro di Modena in Italy.
Here’s the list of winners in the Algarve:
Grand Gold Medal:
• Algarve Moscatel (Única Adega Cooperativa – Lagoa)
• Palhete 2019 (Morgado do Quintão – Lagoa)
• Marquês dos Vales, Grande Escolha (Quinta dos Vales – Lagoa)
• Duo Tinto 2015 (Quinta dos Vales – Lagoa)
• Blend Branco 2019 (Herdade Barranco do Vale – Silves)
• Quinta Cabrita Negra Mole (Quinta Cabrita – Silves)
• Lagoa Reserva Branco (Única Adega Cooperativa – Lagoa)
• Dialog Verdelho 2019 (Quinta dos Vales – Lagoa)
• Vida Nova Tinto 2017 (Adega do Cantor – Albufeira)
• Grande reserva Algibra 2017 (Quinta da Tôr – Loulé)
• Premium Talibra 2019 Algarve (Casa Santos Lima – Tavira)
(Click here) to see the full list of awarded wines.