The Algarve has been named Portugal’s ‘Best Tourism Destination’ at the Publiturs Portugal Travel Awards, held last Friday (September 17) at Coimbra’s São Francisco convent.
Lagos’ Onyria Palmares was also awarded the title of Portugal’s ‘Best Golf Course’.
“I share the joy and pride I feel with all the partners, private and public, who work on a daily basis to make the Algarve the country’s main tourism destination,” said Algarve tourism boss Desidério Silva in a statement.
He added: “We all deserve to be congratulated – the Algarveans, those who work here as well as those who come here on holiday.”
The regional tourism board (RTA) added that the Algarve was also named Europe’s best beach destination at the World Travel Awards 2016 (click here), as well as a “trustworthy brand” by the readers of Seleções, the Portuguese version of Reader’s Digest (click here).
The remaining winners of Portugal’s tourism ‘Oscars’ include:
• Best Airline: TAP
• Best Low-Cost Airline: easyJet
• Best Rent-a-Car: Europcar
• Best Destination Management Company: events by tlc
• Best Tour Operator: Nortravel
• Best Travel Agent: Viagens Abreu
• Best Group of Independent Travel Agents: Go4Travel
• Best Five-Star Hotel: MYRIAD by SANA Hotels
• Best Four-Star Hotel: Furnas Boutique Hotel
• Best Three-Star Hotel: My Story Hotel Rossio
• Best Resort Hotel: Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive
• Best Boutique Hotel: Six Senses Douro Valley
• Best City Hotel: Bairro Alto Hotel
• Best Corporate Hotel: Dom Pedro Palace
• Best Hotel Rehabilitation: Palácio do Governador
• Best Hotel Chain: Vila Galé
• Best International Tourism Delegation: Macau
• Prize for Higher Education Tourism School: University of Évora
• Belmiro Santos Career Award: Manuel Lourenço, president of Hoti Hotéis