If you want to enjoy a beach holiday but are on a tight budget, then the Algarve is the best place in the world to go in 2017.
So says UK newspaper the Telegraph in its new list of the world’s 20 greatest beaches, each one considered ideal for a specific reason.
“For savings in the sun, Portugal is the place to be this year,” the paper writes, recommending a stay in Albufeira, where there is “plenty to do” including the hiring of pedaloes and kayaks, exploring caves and dining on the beach.
“For quiet, drive 30 minutes to Praia de Albandeira, a jewel of a beach which is completely off the tourist radar. Tiny, with white sands pinched between ochre rocks, it has no watersports, no sunbeds and few visitors,” the Telegraph adds.
The other 19 beaches featured on the paper’s list are:
• Lefkada, Greece (best for watersports)
• Nevis, Caribbean (best for fly and flop)
• Mykonos, Greece (best for a party)
• Menorca, Spain (best for isolation)
• Lanzarote, Spain (best for surfing)
• Ibiza, Spain (best for finding your Zen)
• Majorca, Spain (best for young children)
• Sicily, Italy (best for culture vultures)
• Porquerolles, France (best for foodies)
• Dorset, England (best for rockpoolers, explorers young and old)
• Crete, Greece (best for sunbathers)
• South Africa (best for safari with your beach)
• Florida, USA (best for deep-sea fishing and boating)
• Okinawa, Japan (best for sun, sea and karate)
• Anguilla, Caribbean (best for divers and snorkelers)
• Cuba (best for ‘retro’)
• Bora Bora, French Polynesia (best for honeymooners)
• Mexico (best for backdrop)