Over 400 bad weather-related incidents were reported across Portugal yesterday due to Storm Bernard, with over 300 being reported in the Algarve.
Portugal’s Civil Protection Commander, José Costa, told TSF radio that 381 incidents had been reported by 8pm on Sunday.
“In the Algarve region specifically, we have a total of 304 incidents, mainly related to tree falls, flooding, road cleaning, and also structural collapses. For these incidents, 921 operational personnel and 330 ground units were mobilised,” he added.
Despite reports of some damage, particularly to homes and vehicles, José Costa said the situation by yesterday evening was “calmer.”
The commander still offered some recommendations: “Avoid approaching the coast, be careful while driving through water sheets, keep waterways clear of debris and secure any items that could be carried away or fall due to the wind.”
Strong crosswinds also affected landings and takeoffs at Gago Coutinho International Airport in Faro, having disrupted more than seven flights.
According to a source from Portugal’s Air Navigation Authority (NAV), cited by Lusa news agency, there were gusts of over 50 knots (around 100 kilometres per hour) which led several pilots to choose not to land or take off.
However, the situation had improved by 4.50pm when flight operations returned to normal.
The harsh weather on Sunday led authorities to issue a ‘red alert’ – the most serious – but the warning had been reduced to yellow by yesterday night.
While the weather is expected to continue rainy for the following days, no further weather warnings have been made by Portugal’s Sea and Atmosphere Institute for the Algarve (IPMA) – although a yellow warning has been issued due to heavy rain, and in some areas strong winds, predicted in the districts of Porto, Braga and Viana do Castelo tomorrow between 9am and 3pm.