Number of Algarve’s ‘Green Key’ establishments skyrockets to 31
The Algarve has seen its number of ‘Green Key’ establishments increase significantly from 10 in 2018 to 31 this year.
Twenty-eight hotels, two short-term rental establishments and one café have received the coveted eco-friendly accolade, which recognises and awards establishments with sustainable and eco-friendly policies.
Seven hotels (Conrad Algarve, Hilton Vilamoura, Pine Cliffs, Vila Galé Albacora, Aqua Pedra dos Bicos, Vale D’el Rei and Velamar) and one short-term rental establishment (Casa Biota) retained the award they received last year.
Vila Galé, Pestana and AP Hotels & Resorts each saw six of their hotels join the ‘Green Key’ list.
Topázio Mar in Albufeira was also a new entry on the list as were five-star rural hotel in the Algarve Vila Valverde, and Portimão-based organic grocery store and café Merceario Bio Café.
Algarve tourism boss João Fernandes praised the significant increase of ‘Green Keys’ awarded in the Algarve where, he says, more and more establishments are “valued by tourists for their environmentally-minded policies”.
Green Key is a “voluntary eco-label awarded to more than 3,000 hotels and other establishments in 57 countries,” the Green Key website says.
It adds that the accolade is the “leading standard for excellence in the field of environmental responsibility and sustainable operation within the tourism industry”.
Here’s the list of 31 ‘Green Key’ establishments in the Algarve:
• Hotel Hilton Vilamoura – Loulé
• Vale d’El Rei – Lagoa
• Velamar Boutique Hotel – Albufeira
• Casa Biota Este – Sagres
• Casa Biota Oeste – Sagres
• Hotel Aqua Pedra dos Bicos – Albufeira
• Hotel Conrad – Almancil
• Pine Cliffs – Albufeira
• Vila Galé Albacora – Tavira
• Hotel Vila Galé Náutico – Silves
• Hotel Vila Galé Lagos – Lagos
• Hotel Vila Galé Marina – Loulé
• Hotel Apartamento Vila Galé Ampalius – Vilamoura
• Hotel Apartamento Vila Galé Atlântico – Albufeira
• Hotel Apartamento Vila Galé Cerro Alagoa – Albufeira
• Adriana Beach Hotel – Albufeira
• Cabanas Park Resort – Tavira
• Hotel EVA – Faro
• Maria Nova Lounge Hotel – Tavira
• Victoria Sport & Beach Hotel – Albufeira
• Hotel Oriental – Portimão
• Pestana Alvor Praia – Portimão
• Pestana Alvor South Beach – Portimão
• Pestana Delfim – Portimão
• Pestana Dom João II – Portimão
• Pestana Viking – Silves
• Pestana Vila Sol – Vilamoura
• Topázio Mar Beach Hotel & Apartaments – Albufeira
• Vila Petra – Albufeira
• Vila Valverde – Design & Country Hotel – Lagos
• Mercearia Bio Café – Portimão