Farense footballer recovering well as attacker remanded in custody
Farense footballer Tavinho, who was rushed to Faro Hospital in “serious condition” on Monday after being stabbed in the neck outside a Vilamoura bar, has been pictured “awake and smiling” in a hospital bed. The photo was posted online by the Farense futsal team a day after Tavinho’s alleged attacker was remanded in custody.
Says Correio da Manhã tabloid, the attack happened after Nelson Miguel Sousa, also known as ‘Periquito’, was refused entry at a bar in Vilamoura.
He apparently was so frustrated that he believed that Tavinho, who was speaking English to another footballer outside the bar, was talking about him.
A discussion ensued and ‘Periquito’ ended up stabbing the footballer twice.
Farense president António Correia later told reporters that the knife “nearly reached” one of Tavinho’s lungs.
The attacker fled the scene but was quickly identified by police. He ended up turning himself in at the Quarteira GNR police station.
PJ police said in an official statement that the suspect has a record of thefts and had been on parole for two months.
Meantime, the 24-year-old footballer is said to be recovering well. However, CM reports that he won’t be playing this season due to his injuries.