Algarve gains two new Michelin stars
Algarve’s Gusto by Heinz Beck restaurant at the Conrad Algarve, in Quinta do Lago (chef Daniele Pirillo) and Vista at the Bela Vista Hotel & Spa, in Praia da Rocha (chef João Oliveira), are the two new stars in the 2018 Michelin Red Guide for Spain & Portugal, with all other stars being maintained and a new total of 23 Michelin-starred restaurants in Portugal.
The total number of Michelin stars in the Algarve is now 10, made up of six restaurants with one star and two with two stars.
Both of the new Algarve stars were widely expected and are well deserved. When we reviewed Vista Restaurant (see ‘Vista restaurant – Touching the stars’ at portugalresident.com), all had been in place for some time; the standard of cooking at Vista is up there with the Algarve’s best.
At Conrad Algarve’s Gusto by Heinz Beck, speculation has been rife among the foodie community and many expected the star to have been awarded last year or even the year before. After all, this is an outpost of chef Heinz Beck, who holds three Michelin stars at his restaurant La Pergola, in Rome. But it is the work of chef Daniele Pirillo and his team at Gusto here in the Algarve that counts.
Here is the full list of Portugal’s Michelin-starred eateries, their chefs and their location:
• Vila Joya – Dieter Koschina, Albufeira
• Ocean – Hans Neuner, Alporchinhos
• Belcanto – José Avillez, Lisboa
• Il Gallo d’Oro – Benoit Sinthon, Funchal
• The Yeatman – Ricardo Costa, Vila Nova de Gaia
• Vista – João Oliveira, Portimão
• Gusto by Heinz Beck – Heinz Beck, Almancil
• Henrique Leis – Henrique Leis, Almancil
• São Gabriel – Leonel Pereira, Almancil
• Willie’s – Willie Wurger, Vilamoura
• Bon Bon – Rui Silvestre, Carvoeiro
• Alma – Henrique Sá Pessoa, Lisboa
• Antiqvvm – Vitor Matos, Porto
• Casa da Calçada – Tiago Bonito, Amarante
• Casa de Chá da Boa Nova – Rui Paula, Leça da Palmeira
• Eleven – Joachim Koerper, Lisboa
• Feitoria – João Rodrigues, Lisboa
• Fortaleza do Guincho – Miguel Rocha Vieira, Cascais
• LAB by Sergi Arola – Penha Longa
• L’And Vineyards – Miguel Laffan, Montemor-o-Novo
• Loco – Alexandre Silva, Lisboa
• Pedro Lemos – Pedro Lemos, Porto
• William – Luís Pestana, Funchal
By PATRICK STUART